د.أفتاب أحمد خان
ماجستير علوم المواد الحيوية السنية
AFTAB AHMED KHAN (Ph.D., M.Sc., M. Bioeth, B.D.S.)
A highly motivated dental professional having experience in academics and research, looking to utilize knowledge gained during the research projects to undertake undergraduate teaching and research.
Address: Dental Biomaterial Research Chair, College of Applied Medical
Sciences, King Saud University, Riyadh; Saudi Arabia
Languages: English, Urdu, Arabic
University of Turku, Finland
Ph.D. in Dental Biomaterials
Queen Mary University of London, United Kingdom
M.Sc. in Dental Materials
Secured (Overall merit and distinction in project)
Aga Khan University, Pakistan
Master of Bioethics (majors in research ethics, biostatistics, and epidemiology) Secured (Overall merit)
University of Sindh, Pakistan
Bachelor of Dental Surgery (1st division)
December 2014 – till date
King Saud University, Riyadh; Saudi Arabia
Researcher, responsible for mentoring and advising students’ research projects, chairing projects, attending meetings and working with student groups as a research adviser.
July 2013 – November 2014
Mohammad Bin Qasim Dental College, Karachi; Pakistan
Associate Professor & HoD, Science of Dental Materials Department
September 2011 – June 2013
Mohammad Bin Qasim Dental College, Karachi; Pakistan
Assistant Professor & HoD, Science of Dental Materials Department
April 2008 – September 2011
Liaquat University of Medical & Health Sciences, Jamshoro; Pakistan
Assistant Professor & HoD, Science of Dental Materials Department
May 2004 – April 2006
Fatima Jinnah Dental College, Karachi; Pakistan
Lecturer, Science of Dental Materials Department
Professional Development (participation in conferences)
- Participation in International Annual Dental Conference, 2021 held at Lahore Pearl Continental Hotel (Oct 23 - Oct 24)
- Participation in 29th Saudi International Dental Conference, 2018 held at Riyadh International Convention and Exhibition Center (Jan 9 - Jan 11)
- Participation in Global conference on Dentistry & Oral Health, 2019 held at Rome, Italy (July 1 – July 2)
- Participation in 33rd National Dental Congress (Innovations in Dentistry - A Way Forward), 2016 held at Expo Center, Lahore (Nov 11 – Nov 13)
- Participation in 30th Saudi International Dental Conference, 2019 held at Ritz Carlton (Jan 12 - Jan 14)
- Participation in 21st International Dental Conference & Arab Dental Exhibition – AEEDC Dubai, 2017 held at Dubai International convention & exhibition center (Feb 6 – Feb 8)
- Participation in Symposium (Academic Excellence in Dentistry), 2014 held at Pearl Continental Hotel, Karachi (Nov 29 – Nov 30)
- Participation in Symposium (6th Annual Dental Symposium), 2012 held at Sindh Medical College, Karachi (Dec 21)
- Participation in 28th Asia Pacific Dental Conference (APDC), 2006 held at Expo Center, Karachi (Feb 06)
September 2007 – 2015
Zohra Dental Clinic – Karachi, Pakistan (Part-time)
Consultant Dental Surgeon, In-charge of the clinic, dealing in diagnosing and supervising the treatment given by the dentists
March 2002 – July 2006:
Malir Dental Centre – Karachi, Pakistan (Full-time)
In-charge of running clinic, from registration to full checkup. While working at the clinic have polished surgical and communication skills along with management and time keeping
- Hands-on experience with universal testing machine, Surface profilometer, Nano-mechanical Tester, SEM, Raman Spectroscopy, Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy, Differential Scanning Calorimetry, Atomic Force Microscopy, UV-Vis Spectrophotometer, Tensiometer and Micro Computer Tomography.
- Ability to analyze complex statistical data and conceptual thinking.
- Ability to critically analyze literature and publish research findings.
- Ability to perform experiments individually and within a group.
- Ability to perform graphical work and related software.
- Ability to use research-related software such as Endnote and SPSS etc.
Honors & Awards
- 2017: University of Turku scholarship for the Ph.D. program
- 2012: National Institutes of Health, USA fully-funded Scholarship for M. Bioeth
- 2006: Scholarship from the Queen Mary University of London for the M.Sc. program
- 2000: Liaquat University of Medical & Health Sciences Scholarship
- 1998: Liaquat University of Medical & Health Sciences Scholarship
- 1996: Liaquat University of Medical & Health Sciences Scholarship
Research related to dental biomaterials:
- Khan AA, Fareed MA, Alshehri AH, Aldegheishem A, Alharthi R, Saadaldin SA, Zafar MS. Mechanical Properties of the Modified Denture Base Materials and Polymerization Methods: A Systematic Review. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2022;23(10):5737.
- Alkheraif AA, AlMufareh NA, AlQhtani FA, Asiri W, Abuhadi RI, Hamoud M, Khan AA. Minocycline incorporated cobalt oxide nanoparticles in dental sealants: An in vitro study. Microscopy Research and Technique. 2022.
- Khan AA, De Vera MA, Mohamed BA, Javed R, Al‐Kheraif AA. Enhancing the physical properties of acrylic resilient denture liner using graphene oxide nanosheets. Journal of Vinyl and Additive Technology 2022; DOI: 10.1002/vnl.21895
- Al-Kheraif AA, Mohamed BA, Khan AA, Al-Shehri AM. Role of Riboflavin; Curcumin photosensitizers and Ozone when used as canal disinfectant on push-out bond strength of glass fiber post to radicular dentin. Photodiagnosis and Photodynamic Therapy 2021; 102592.
- Khan AA, Perea-Lowery L, Al-Khureif AA, AlMufareh NA, Eldwakhly E, Säilynoja E, Vallittu PK. Interfacial Adhesion of a Semi-Interpenetrating Polymer Network-Based Fiber-Reinforced Composite with a High and Low-Gradient Poly (methyl methacrylate) Resin Surface. Polymers 2021; 13(3):352.
- Hashem M, Altinawi A, Fouad H, Vellappally S, Khan AA. Effectiveness of photodynamic therapy on bonding strength and failure modes of fiber-posts in c-shaped treated root canals. Photodiagnosis and Photodynamic Therapy. 2021; 35:102469.
- Sheikh A, Mirza EH, Fareedi F, Khan U, Aftab U, Irfan UB, Khan AA, Haleem BA, Khan MM, Omair SM, Al-Khureif AA. Physical and Mechanical Characterization of Poly (methyl methacrylate) Based Cements for Bone Regeneration. Science of Advanced Materials. 2021; 13(3):427-35.
- Khan AA, Zafar MS, Ali A Ghubayri A, AlMufareh NA, Binobaid A, Eskandrani RM, Al-Kheraif AA. Polymerisation of restorative dental composites: influence on physical, mechanical and chemical properties at various setting depths. Materials Technology. 2020:1-7.
- Naqvi SM, Khan Z, Mirza EH, Chandio A, Manzoor F, Niaz R, Khan AA, AlKhureif AA. Fabrication and characterization of polyvinyl alcohol/chitosan/moringa-extract hydrogel patch for wound-healing applications. Materials Express 2021; 11(1):107-15.
- Khan AA, AlKhureif AA, Mohamed BA, Bautista LS. Enhanced mechanical properties are possible with urethane dimethacrylate-based experimental restorative dental composite. Materials Research Express. 2020 16;7(10):105307.
- Al-Khureif AA, Mohamed BA, Al-Shehri AM, Khan AA, Divakar DD. Bond assessment of resin modified glass ionomer cement to dentin conditioned with photosensitizers, laser and conventional regimes. Photodiagnosis and photodynamic therapy. 2020;30: 101795.
- Al-Khureif AA, Mohamed, BA, Siddiqui AZ, Hashem M, Khan AA, Divakar, DD. Clinical, host-derived immune biomarkers and microbiological outcomes with adjunctive photochemotherapy compared with local antimicrobial therapy in the treatment of peri-implantitis in cigarette smokers. Photodiagnosis and photodynamic therapy 2020, 30, p.101684.
- Khan AA, Mohamed BA, Al-Shamrani SS, Ramakrishnaiah R, Perea-Lowery L, Säilynoja E, Vallittu PK. Influence of monomer systems on the bond strength between resin composites and polymerized fiber-reinforced composite upon aging. J Adhes Dent. 2019;21:509-16.
- Mirza EH, Khan AA, Al-Khureif AA, Saadaldin SA, Mohamed BA, Fareedi F, Khan MM, Alfayez M, Al-Fotawi R, Vallittu PK, Mahmood A. Characterization of osteogenic cells grown over modified graphene-oxide-biostable polymers. Biomedical Materials 2019; 14(6):065004.
- Khan AA, Mirza EH, Mohamed BA, El-Sharawy MA, Al-Asmari MH, Al-Khureif AA, Dar MA, Vallittu PK. Static and dynamic mechanical properties of graphene oxide-based bone cementing agents. Journal of Composite Materials 2019; 53(16): 2297-304
- Khan AA, Mohamed BA, Mirza EH, Syed J, Divakar DD, Vallittu PK. Surface wettability and nano roughness at different grit blasting operational pressures and their effects on resin cement to zirconia adhesion. Dental Materials Journal 2019; https://doi.org/10.4012/dmj.2018-166
- Khan AA, Mohamed BA, Al-Hijji SM, Ramakrishnaiah RK, Zafar MS, Al-Shamrani SS, Vallittu PK, Matinlinna JP. Influence of aging time and medium on enclosedmold shear bond strength on titanium. Materials Express 2019; 9: 159-165
- Khan AA, AlKheraif AA, Mohamed BA, Leila P, Sailynoja E, Vallittu PK. Inﬂuence of primers on the properties of the adhesive interface between resin composite luting cement and ﬁber-reinforced composite. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials 2018; 88: 281-287
- Khan AA, Mirza EH, Mohamed BA, AlHarthi NH, Abdo HS, Javed R, AlHur RS, Vallittu PK. Physical, mechanical, chemical and thermal properties of nanoscale graphene oxide-poly methylmethacrylate composites. Journal of Composite Materials 2018; 52(20): 2803-2813
- Khan AA, AlKheraif AA, AlShehri AM, Sailynoja E, Vallittu PK. Polymer matrix of ﬁber-reinforced composites: Changes in the semi interpenetrating polymer network during the shelf life. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials 2018; 78: 414–419
- Ali TSS, Khan AA, Siddiqui AZ. Novel approach in managing post-extraction alveolar bone dimensions. Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association 2018; 68(7): 1110-1112
- Khan AA, Siddiqui AZ, ElSharawy M, AlGhamdi AM, Matinlinna JP. Effect of Short E-Glass Fiber Reinforcement on Surface and Mechanical Properties of Glass-Ionomer Cements. Journal of Molecular and Engineering Materials 2017; 5(4): 1740007
- Alrahlah A, Aldhafyan M, Khan AA, Awad MM, Vohra F, Khan R. Effect of Hydrogen Peroxide Dentifrice and Brushing on Surface Properties of Direct Esthetic Dental Composites. Journal of Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering; 7(10): 1051–1056
- Khan AA, Mirza EH, Jamaluddin S, Al-Khureif AA, Mehmood A, Valittu PK, Alfotawi R. Single and Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotube Fillers in Poly(methyl methacrylate)-Based Implant Material. Journal of Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering 2017; 7(9): 798-806
- Mirza EH, Khan AA, El-Sharawy MA, Al-Khureif AA, Al-Hijji S, Al-Omair KA, Khalil KA. Physical, mechanical, thermal, and dynamic characterization of carbon nanotubes incorporated poly(methyl methacrylate)-based denture implant. Journal of Composite materials 2017; 51(28): 3931-40
- Khan AA, Alkhuraif AA, Syed J, Elsharawy MA, Divakar DD. Recent trends in surface treatment methods for composite cement to zirconia bonding: A review. Journal of Adhesive Dentistry 2017; 19(1): 7-19
- Khan AA, Alkhuraif AA, Jamaluddin S, Divakar DD, Matinlinna JP. Enhanced resin zirconia adhesion with carbon nanotubes infused silanes: A pilot study. Journal of Adhesion 2018; 94(3): 167-80
- Khan AA, Alkhuraif AA, Syed J, Divakar DD, Matinlinna JP. Effect of experimental primers on hydrolytic stability of resin zirconia bonding. Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology 2017; 31(10): 1094-1104
- Khan AA, Alkhuraif AA, Syed J, Divakar DD, Matinlinna JP. Enhanced resin titanium adhesion with silane primers using tribochemical silica-coating. Dental Materials Journal 2017; 36(1): 111-16.
- Khan AA, Siddiqui AZ, Syed J, Noori S, Al Kheraif AA. Spectrophotometric assessment of different surface coating materials on conventional glass ionomer cement. Pakistan Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 2016; 29 (5, Suppl): 1823-27
- Jamaluddin S, Khan AA, Khan E. Micro-CT evaluation of mineral trioxide aggregate and bioactive glass as apical seal. Pakistan Journal of Surgery 2016; 32(4): 239-44
- Khan AA, Alkhuraif AA, Alhijji SM, Matinlinna JP. Effect of grit-blasting air pressure on adhesion strength of resin to titanium. International Journal of Adhesion & Adhesives 2016; 65:41-46
- Khan AA, Siddiqui AZ, Mohsin SF, Alkhuraif AA. Influences of mouthrinses on the surface hardness of dental nano-composite. Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences 2015; 31(6): 1009-14.
- Khan AA, Siddiqui AZ, Alkhuraif AA, Zahid A, Divakar DD. Effect of different pH solvents on micro-hardness and surface topography of dental nano-composite: An in vitro analysis. Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences 2015; 31(4): 854-59
- Khan AA, Askari H, Waqar Z, Hanif S, Noori S, Imtiaz F. Influence of salivary pH on the sorption of nano-filled composite resin. International Journal of Medical & Dental Sciences 2015; 4(1): 540-46
- Khan AA, Siddiqui AZ, Noori S. Evaluating sorption rate of flowable composite materials by using different photo-activation methods: A spectroscopic analysis. Pakistan Oral & Dental Journal 2014; 34(3): 566-70
- Khan AA, Mirza AJ, Siddiqui AZ, Asaad M. Scanning Microradiography: Measurement of X-ray Attenuation Coefficient of Fissure Sealants Containing Tin Methacryloxytri-n-butyltin (SnM) as Radio-opaquer. International Journal of Dental Sciences & Research 2013; 1(3): 56-59
- Khan AA, Mirza AJ. Preparation of a radiopaque fissure sealant by incorporating higher fractions of SnM & measuring their radiopacity using X-ray micro tomography. Journal of Pakistan Dental Association 2013; 22(2): 113-18
Research related to general dentistry:
- Divakar DD, Nimbeni SB, Al-Kheraif AA, Khan AA, Naik S, Khanagar SB, Jhugroo C, Nimbeni B. Knowledge and attitude of dental professionals toward COVID-19 in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia: a cross-sectional survey. Asian Biomedicine 2021 1;15(6):277-84.
- Al-Kheraif AA, Mohamed BA, Sufyan AO, Khan AA, Divakar DD. Photodynamic therapy and other pretreatment methods on epoxy-based glass fiber post on the push-out bond strength to radicular dentin. Photodiagnosis and Photodynamic Therapy 2021;36:102526.
- Hashem M, Altinawi A, Fouad H, Vellappally S, Khan AA. Effectiveness of photodynamic therapy on bonding strength and failure modes of fiber-posts in c-shaped treated root canals. Photodiagnosis and Photodynamic Therapy 2021; 35:102469.
- Al-Kheraif AA, Khan AA, AlMufareh NA, Divakar DD, Dewan H, Al-Jadani S, Alrahimi J, Hassoubah S, Allemailem KS. Photodynamic antimicrobial chemotherapy through photosensitizers loaded poly-l-glycolic acid on Candida albicans in denture lining material: Release, biological and hardness study. Photodiagnosis and Photodynamic Therapy 2021; 33:102134.
- Abushaheen MA, Fatani AJ, Alosaimi M, Mansy W, George M, Acharya S, Rathod S, Divakar DD, Jhugroo C, Vellappally S, Khan AA. Antimicrobial resistance, mechanisms and its clinical significance. Disease-a-Month 2020; 66(6):100971.
- Najmuddin M, Saheb SA, Alharbi AN, Alsobil FM, Jhugroo C, Khan AA, Divakar DD, Naik S, Khanagar SB. Autosomal dominant mutation of MSX1 gene causing tooth and nail syndrome. Pan African Medical Journal 2020 29;36(1).
- Al-Khureif AA, Mohamed BA, Siddiqui AZ, Khan AA, Divakar DD. Repeated application of photodynamic and antibiotic therapy as an adjunct to root surface debridement in patients with grade C and stage III or IV aggressive periodontitis. Photodiagnosis and photodynamic therapy 2020; 29:101610.
- Mirza S, Khan AA, Al-Kheraif AA, Khan SZ, Shafqat SS. Efficacy of adjunctive photodynamic therapy on the clinical periodontal, HbA1c and advanced glycation end product levels among mild to moderate chronic periodontal disease patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a randomized controlled clinical trial. Photodiagnosis Photodynamic Therapy 2019; S1572-1000(19)30277-7
- Khan AA, Siddiqui AZ, Mohsin SF, Mohamed BA. Sociodemographic Characteristics as Predictors of Satisfaction in Public and Private Dental Clinics. Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences 2017; 34(5): 1-6
- Khan AA, Siddiqui AZ, Mohsin SF, AL-Momani MM, Mirza EH. Impact of network aided platforms as educational tools on academic performance and attitude of pharmacology students. Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences 2017; 33(6): 1473-1478
- Fatani EJ, Almutairi HH, Alharbi AO, Alnakhli YO, Divakar DD, Muzaheed, Alkheraif AA, Khan AA. In vitro assessment of stainless steel orthodontic brackets coated with titanium oxide mixed Ag for anti-adherent and antibacterial properties against Streptococcus mutans and Porphyromonas gingivalis (10.1016/j.micpath.2017.09.052).
- Vellappally S, Divakar DD, Al Kheraif AA, Ramakrishnaiah R, Alqahtani A, Dalati MHN, Anil S, Khan AA, Harikrishna Varma PR. Occurrence of vancomycin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in the oral cavity of patients with dental caries. Acta microbiologica et immunologica Hungarica 2017; 64(3): 343-51.
- Divakar DD, Muzaheed, Aldeyab SS, Alfawaz SA, AlKheraif AA, Khan AA. High proportions of Staphylococcus epidermidis in dental caries harbor multiple classes of antibiotics resistance, significantly increase inflammatory interleukins in dental pulps. Microbial pathogenesis 2017; 109:29-34
- Khan AA and Mirza EJ. Influence of trainee characteristics on acquired pharmacology knowledge of dental professionals: A pilot study. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research 2016; 50(3): 9-14.
- Devang Divakar D, Mavinapalla S, Al Kheraif AA, Ramakrishnaiah R, Abd Rahim MF, Khan AA. Incidental radiographic finding of the concealed art of susuk. Medical Science & Law 2016; 56(3): 230-32.
- Rai NP, Divakar DD, Al Kheraif AA, Ramakrishnaiah R, Mustafa SM, Alshahrani OA, Alahmari A, Bh D, Basavarajappa S, Khan AA. Outcome of Palliative and Radical Radiotherapy in Patients with Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma - a Retrospective Study. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention. 2015;16(16):6919-22.
- Divakar DD, AlKheraif AA, Ramakrishnaiah RK, Khan AA, Sandeepa NC. Oral manifestations in human immunodeficiency virus infected pediatric patients receiving and not receiving antiretroviral therapy: a cross sectional study. Paediatric Croatia 2015;59: 152-58.
- Mustafa S, Raj AC, Anekar J, Divakar DD, Alkhuraif AA, Ramakrishnaiah RK, Khan AA, Alshahrani OA, Rai NP. Evaluation of dental and skeletal maturity using digital panoramic radiographs and digital cephalograms. Asian Biomedicine 2015; 9(3): 335-42
- Khan AA, Siddiqui AZ, Noori S. Prevalence of Carpel Tunnel Syndrome among dentists working in Karachi. Pakistan Oral & Dental Journal 2014; 34(4): 566-70
- Khan AA, Siddiqui AZ, Askari H, Imtiaz F, Shakoor S. Dental composite related allergic reactions in dentists working in Karachi. Pakistan Oral & Dental Journal 2014; 34(2): 382-85
- Khan AA, Qasmi SA, Askari H, Shakoor S, Junejo SB. Prevalence of noise induced hearing loss among dentists working in Karachi, Pakistan. Pakistan Oral & Dental Journal 2014; 34(1): 174-77
Conference Papers & Poster Presentation:
- Aftab Ahmed Khan. Enhanced resin zirconia adhesion with carbon nanotubes infused silanes. The Future of Applied Medical Specialties Conference Towards 2030, 2018; Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- Jamaluddin Syed, Aftab Ahmed Khan, Erum Khan. Micro CT evaluation of MTA and BAGs as apical sealants. AWDC 2015
- Aftab Ahmed Khan, Paul Anderson, Mangala Patel. X-ray attenuation properties of a novel radio-opaque sealant in tin-methacrylate formulation. IADR 2006
Manuscripts under review:
- Khan AA, Mirza EH, Mohamed BA, Dar MA. Intermediate-term acrylic based novel denture liners with enhanced viscoelastic properties (submitted to Materials Science & Engineering C)
Affiliation & Memberships:
- International Association for Dental Research
- Pakistan Medical & Dental Council
- Pakistan Dental Association
- Pakistan Biomaterials Society
- Pakistan Medical Research Council
- Pakistan Bioethics Society
On-going Research Projects:
- Viscoelastic nanofillers for enhancing the mechanical properties of glass ionomer cement
- Biological evaluation of graphene oxide-based nanosheets as reinforcing materials
- Journal of Biomaterials
- Mouth and Teeth
Reviewer of the Journals:
- MDPI Polymers
- MDPI Materials
- Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology
- European Journal of Oral Sciences
- Materials Express
- Clinical Oral Investigations
- King Saud University Science
- Journal of the Pakistan Dental Association
- Pakistan Oral and Dental Journal
- Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences
- Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences
- European Journal of Dentistry
- European Journal of General Dentistry
- Orcid ID: 0000-0002-9743-1979
- Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Aftab-Khan-6
- Google scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=3FMZEN0AAAAJ